New creation is the relationship between believers and Christ through which we receive all the benefits of salvation. It is the only means by which God can communicate His life unto us. As the foetus is united with its mother through the umbilical cord and thereby receives nourishment, so also are we united with Christ. It is such a supernatural experience that the Holy Spirit quickens and gives us new life. At the instant of salvation, God transforms us into His children. “But to all who did receive Him,to those who believed in His name, He gave the right (privilege and authority) to become children of God — children born not of blood, nor of the desire or will of man, but born of God.” John 1:12-13. Have we come into this union with Christ? Have we received His life?
What Our Relationship With Christ Accomplishes
1. Our conscience makes us to put off our old man with its passions and lusts. This is because our conscience, which was hitherto dead, has been made alive by the power of Christ’s resurrection. We then find that our desires are contrary to our former ways of living.
2. Through faith in Christ Jesus, we become His habitation as Christ comes to dwell in us. This is the most intimate fellowship any man can experience. God desires to make us His habitation, but He will not dwelling a place that is not conducive, a heart that is filled with sinful passions. As the blood of Christ cleanses us from all sins, He will find delight in fellowshiping with us.
3. Old things are passed away. 2 Cor. 5: 17. The fruits of the old ways have passed away. We have been translated from the Kingdom of darkness unto the Kingdom of God, which is life. The legal ground Satan has to afflict us and hold us captive has been revoked because Christ paid the demands of our sins upon the cross. We are no longer under the influence of the wicked one because Christ has given us the authority to resist him.
4. As Christ becomes our life, our character reflects the life of God. God wants to work in us continually so that we can be conformed to the image of Christ. As Christ’s life is revealed in us, God uses it to glorify Himself.
What It Involves
1. Humbly accepting the salvation Christ came to offer us.
2. God gives us the knowledge and all power we need to be united with Christ. He has done everything in His pat to ensure that we draw near unto Him. God values communion with us greatly. Thus, we must desire and consciously pursue His presence. Prov. 21: 7.